Thread: Fusion surgery
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Fusion surgery

Hi! I have spondylolisthesis L4/5 that has ruined my disc at that level. It is caused by a crack in my L5 vertebrae (a birth defect). I had a consult with Dr. Bierstedt hoping to get an artificial disc. He said because of the instability of L5 vertibrae my only option is a fusion. He also said that my discs above and below are healthy so he doesn't think I should have a problem with them degenerating after surgery with the extra stress put on them.a So now....Does ANYONE have a good fusion Dr. to recommend in the US?! Dr. Bierstedt says he will be glad to do the surgery. The way he explains it all and how they will do the surgery there just makes sense. Also their attention to detail and physical therapy is amazing. So far I haven't found anyone here that will operate from the back & the front. An important thing Dr. Bierstedt said is that the screws need to be long enough. He has seen too short of screws used and pretty soon it starts moving again and then you're back to square 1. I have insurance that would pay in US but if I get a crummy job done what then? Does anyone know of any successful, long lasting fusion stories?

Last edited by LBK; 02-06-2014 at 06:34 PM.