View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Hi kruze, Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I have been diagnosed with FBSS in April this year. I had a "Maverick" disc replacement at L5-S1 done in 2006. Although the initial back pain improved immediately after the surgery, I had a lot of muscular pain ever since. It feels as if I have run a marathon everyday of my life. About 8 months after, I started experiencing nerve pain down the legs, burning in feet and down the legs, pain in the tailbone and pelvis and severe muscle spasms, the same as before the surgery. This has not improved at all and the doctors now want to fuse at L3,L4 and L4,L5. They have also discussed removing the Maverick as there seems to be some migration towards the spinal cord. I have not made any decisions with regards to further surgeries as I am not sure which is the best way to proceed and am doing a lot of research. I would like to suggest a few things I have tried for pain relief in the hopes that it will help you.
Try sleeping with a soft pillow between your legs when sleeping on your side. The pillow should reach from the ankles to between the knees to straighten the spine. Move the pillow to below the knees when lying on your back(propping up the knees helps flatten the spine).
Walking in water is best and keeping in motion is important so walking on a treadmill (flat surface) also helps.
I find that lying with my legs up against a wall, with my butt as close to the wall flattens the spine and gets fluid into the area of the injury and brings some relief. Sitting is your worst enemy and I cannot sit for longer than 5 minutes or so without having to stand up or shift position. I am typing to you standing on my knees which is better than sitting.
Massage is great as it helps to relieve the tension that seems to occur in other parts of the body, due to holding the body unnaturally to compensate for the lower back pain.
I find accupuncture great for pain relief as pain killers make me feel ill ( I have been using anti-inflamatories and painkillers for too long now).
I am also trying "Scenar" therapy for nerve pain and it is bringing some relief. I will post again to you if I can think of anything else that may help. Best of luck to you.
Regards
Sandra D

2004 Fell and injured L3,L4,L5 fractured vertebra
2005 Sneezed and herniated L5/S1
2006 Maverick disc L5/S1 Surgery in South Africa
Initial relief but situation deteriorating

Updated Diagnosis - March 2010
Disc degeneration at L3/4 andL4/5
L5 Radicular Weakness
Left L4/5 foraminal disc
L4/5 Severe facet Joint disease
Bilateral sacroiliitis