View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Zocoma, I can totally relate what you are going through. I had a careful wish that the pain and other symptoms would subside quick and I would totally functioning doing all the sports I wanted (which I had more or less been unable to do for 6 years). I did realize that I might have a long recovery since my history and the fact that i had not bent my spine much for the last year before the surgery. As I said, I also had a frozen shoulder going on.

The surgery improved my pain, but it was nothing miraculous. I had to get used to being on my feet all day and my nerves were still super sensitive. I cut down my medication too quick (3 months post op I was not taking any). I had a setback which I think was part due to the shoulder pulling on my neck. And as said, when I increased my activity levels, my neck started giving me symptoms. Not pain, but strange, disturbing sensations with a feeling of pressure in the head etc. I ended up with bad anxiety periods that lasted days. My doc. put me on clonazepam (told me my autonomic nerves were still confused from the long pain period. I was in fight-or-run-mode), which pretty much took that edge off.

Now as I am nearly 20 months post op, I can look back to what it was 4 months ago, 4 months before that etc. and say I have improved all the time. The setbacks get milder, but still occasionally throw me back mentally to the "dark months". Its like my brain is tricking me. Fortunately setbacks are max a day or two now. I quess it was mentally hard for me to see that even though the surgery did not turn things immediately, it was still possible to heal. I just took the long road.

I think the most assuring is when I see people that I only see few times a year. Every time they tell me I look, sound and move better than last time. Its difficult to notice this slow improvement yourself.

Everyone`s story is different (like my frozen shoulder adding a spice to my recovery). I am happy that I am finally able to work (still part-time). I had to go throgh a rough road for a year after surgery. I do not know what the future holds but I am optimistic. That is very important. Never give up.