View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 01:17 PM

Hi Harrison,

You bring up two good points. A black disc only means it is dehydrated and most likely behaves mechanically different from a healthy, water-filled disc. But it does not alone equate to pain. I think the painful combination is when you also have annular tears. Then there is a way for the acidic fluid to leak out from the disc. I read that dehydrated discs use a different chemical process to produce energy, which leads to inflammatory proteins as a by-product. If these proteins can leak through the annulus they will irritate the nerves, causing pain.

Some doctors I have spoken to did not recommend discogram, because it does not bring any new significant information (according to them). At least in my case one can clearly see which disc is black&torn-up and which is intact&healthy. I also worry about provoking healthy discs.

Harrison, I see you have been into this subject for a long time, so I wanted to ask you one thing. Do you know any patients with ddd and annular tear and pain for years that have eventually managed to fully heal with conservative methods (spontaneous fusion does not count). Doctors claim they exist, but I am having difficulty finding the evidence. Surely they cannot all be trying to pull wool in front of my eyes?