View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Hi GirlCaptain,

Yes, that is the thing that many will miss. There are a lot of articles such as the one you linked. The one you linked is a bit older and pay-to-read. Having to pay to read publications, especially in medical field, is i.m.o. not morally right, but that is a whole different topic to discuss.

Here is another similar article, a free one:
Intervertebral discs which cause low back pain secrete high levels of proinflammatory mediators
http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/84-B/2/196.short

They find that
"Our study has shown that significantly more IL-6, IL-8 and PGE2 are produced by discs from patients with low back pain compared with discs from patients with sciatica."

In fact I don't have sciatica at all, which is quite in-line with this diagnosis. I belive sciatica is common especially for people with large herniations resulting from trauma. A single traumatic herniation may heal in time, but a degenerating disc may be trickier (as I read on this forum people whose condition keep getting worse over the years...).

They also comment on discography:
"Provocative discography is currently the method of choice for diagnosing discogenic low back pain. It is a subjective test relying on the radiologists’ and patients’ perceptions to determine the result.29-36 Many patients with such complaints have associated psychological or psychiatric disturbances which may or may not be associated with medicolegal factors. All of these decrease their ability to give an accurate opinion as to whether the pain produced at discography is that of which they are complaining."