View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Cindy, I am sorry about the news. And to pick up on your point – too many folks in their 40s and 50s have osteoporosis! Isn’t the question to the right medical professional – what is the cause and diagnosis? And you are right, in that the DEXA Scan results are to be questioned, as we've discussed the inconsistent results many times.

Relating this to a recent conversation, I agree completely with Don’s and Sue’s points in this topic:

Cause of rapid spine degeneration?
http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums?m=2...c&f=7701036081

I am sorry to be cynical, but the chance of you finding a U.S. doctor that correctly identifies the root cause of your osteoporosis is statistically small (at least that’s what I have observed). Perhaps there are many reasons why this is so, but all the reasons are tragic if you ask me! Folks, if you know a stellar bone doctor that helped you, please share here or send me an email. This is a very serious and apparently widespread issue.

Ideally, you would have a diagnosis before your start you prescription (subscription is a better word) with the pharmaceutical companies. As well, taking vitamins like D may or may not help. My layman’s opinion is that if you have a chronic inflammatory disorder (which may be causing a bone growth issue) "D" may actually worsen the condition. Again, this is something I’ve observed through a cohort of patients and is just my concern. There’s more here in this recent topic:

weak bones....fusion or ADR ?
http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7501036081/m/6...081087672#3081087672

Perhaps you and Bill can talk offline about this issue. I encourage all of you to talk and communicate, one can learn much by emailing and talking live. That’s what this forum is all about!

Good luck in this very complicated journey. And please come back and share your learnings.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate