View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Almost forgot to mention, my rheumatalotist called me last night in an attempt to clarify how/why a bone density exam and one other exam I had (can't remember name of it at the moment) can give false readings of the state of ones bones/health. I wish I had a recording of what he said, to pass along the information, because there is no way I can duplicate his response. And I'm sorry about that. But the bottom line is, the dexa scan is still not a fool proof diagnostic tool, by any stretch, as a barometer of the health of our bones. For me personally, even tho each test has shown me to have "normal" bone, "normal" levels of calcium in my urine, "normal" levels of vitamin D in my urine, I still am being diagnosed with osteoporosis of my spine, since Dr. B said my bones were soft and porous during surgery. I am immediately boosting my calcium/D intake with a supplement, and have to go on a prescription calcium booster, Fosomax. This should help strengthen my bones over time. I never would have imagined in a million years I could have osteoporosis, but believe you me, I am on it. Especially for women in my age bracket (I'm turning 55 on Sunday), remember to take your calcium and vitamin D, and still have a dexa scan, since that is, it appears, the best tool available at this time, to read our bone health, albeit far from perfect.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!