View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 12:35 AM

Default New Member Glad to be here

Hello,
I have a story similar to many who have posted here. Spending years in pain with a spine growing older everyday waiting for a treatment that will hopefully be available in my lifetime. I'll try and keep my history brief, chronic back pain for 24 years. About 8 years ago I started experience numbness in my hands and feet and radiculopathy I did chiropractic, PT (five rounds in the last 5 years) OT, aqua therapy, cervical traction, massage, acupuncture, oral medications (muscle relaxants, otc, NSAIDS and ultram {which makes me anxious and gives me insomnia but I have refused anything stronger}) am I forgetting anything? Oh yeah, Pilates. My symptoms have been chronic: nothing has really worked. I've seen multiple physicians my GP, orthopedic surgeons, rheumatologist, physiatrist, and neurosurgeons. My last visit with a neurosurgeon was in 2011. MRI results: C 3-4 mild annular bulge, C 4-5 small central disc protrusion which almost makes contact with the cord with mild canal stenosis, C 5-6 small central disc protrusion. I was told at that time that I had DDD at three levels the worst being C 4-5 and C 5-6 and I would need surgery in the next 5-15 years and if I want to avoid fusion to wait as long as possible for an ADR, which at the time could only be done on 1 level. So I've been waiting, in pain for the last 4 years. Funny thing, everyone always asks me how did I injure my neck. I've never had an accident, as far as I can tell its just been wear and tear. I did play the violin for 8 years, and I'm curious if that is a risk factor?

Then, in December I stumbled upon the Restore Clinical (M-6) trial The RESTORE Clinical Trial that is taking place across the country and I contacted Stanford since it is the closest to my area. However I got word today after the MRI review that I am not a candidate for the study because I need treatment on more than 1 level, which I knew, but i wasn't sure and I'm thankful for a second review of my MRI. I am not disappointed at all, but maybe someone else who needs one disc replaced and wants an M-6 will find the link useful. If I do need ADR I want it done right, the first time so I don't have to go under the knife again. I never considered going out of the country for ADR until I started reading this board. Of course, I would like something that my insurance covers and money is tight (paying for oldest son's college tuition.)
Does anyone know of any clinical studies in the States for cervical disc replacement on more than 1 level? I'm trying to avoid cervical fusion and I live in a rural area, so I wouldn't let any of the local doctors operate on my neck anyway. I'm fortunate I can still work and I would like to be able to keep it that way.

If I chose the microdisctomy (also not covered by my insurance) route while waiting for multilevel ADR what is that process like? I would assume I would need to have my MRI repeated since it is now 4 years old. I really learn a lot for hearing about other people's experiences. You all are so positive and I really appreciate this group already.

43 years old (too young for all this to be happening)
cervical radiculopathy
mild carpal tunnel
sciatica
2011 MRI results:
C 3-4 mild annular bulge
C 4-5 small central disc protrusion which almost makes contact with the cord with mild canal stenosis
C 5-6 small central disc protrusion.
C 6-7 posterior disk bulge
Cervical radiculopathy
Right sided sciatica for 15 years, no MRI