View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 08:44 PM

Mariaa,
Congrats on at least making some progress against the WC "machine". I can shed a bit of light on one small concern you raised - the SIJ. If you already have a painful SIJ as determined by fluoroscopic injection, then you stand a good chance of having that pain aggravated by the L5/S1 fusion. If you don't already have a painful SIJ, the fusion may or may not do anything significant for pain in that area.

Have you tried just giving them a cost breakdown for going with Dr. Bertagnoli? I mean, holy cow, the Prodisc is going to get FDA approval any month now, so, they'd have a difficult time jerking your lifetime future benefits on the ground that you had a non-FDA-approved procedure. That being the case, I can't believe they would not sit up and listen if you proposed something that would save them about $100,000, which is very likely the difference between anything stateside and whatever Dr.B would propose. You'd think it would be like ringing the dinner bell.

Best of luck,
Laura
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog