View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Cindy Lou,

I think you meant this PM to go to Paulette. I have not had ADR done yet but it sounds like you and I have the same levels that have gone bad. I have L5, S1 partially sacralized. On all my previous MRI's that is how they classified it but on the most recent one the radiologist called it L6, S1. Partially sacralized means that it is partially fused to the sacrum yet partially free as though it were an extra vertebra and degenerating in the disc area. L4, L5 I have had a hemilaminectomy and discectomy and I am now bone on bone with virtually no disc left at all and what they call ostiophites which are bone growths from the vertebra going outward trying to compensate for the lack of disc. These growths and impinging on the nerve. At L3, L4 the disc is ruptured and torn. Back in 2004 Dr. Delamarter wanted me as part of the Prodisc trials and he was going to do a 2 level replacement but he was supposed to write to the FDA for a compassionate use waiver since I had already had back surgery. Well, I kept calling to see if it was sent and the person who was supposed to get that letter sent out left and another person took over. I kept calling back and no one would return my calls so I got lost in the shuffle. I also was not 100% sure I wanted to be in a study and thought I would wait for FDA approval.

I went to a neurosurgeon that my plan referred me to and he wanted to fuse L4, L5 and do a disc replacement at L3, L4 but then moved to Baltimore. So, Then I went to Dr. Williams and he is the one that wanted to do 2 fusions and a 1-disc replacement only because it is only FDA approved for one level. I am wondering how people are having multiple levels done here in the states. My guess is that they are paying out of pocket.

Abbe
L5 S1 Partially sacralized
97' epidural injections
L3 L4 ruptured and torn
L4 L5 Almost no disk height left along with osteophytes
Left leg pain and tingling going down back of leg into heel & foot
3 appeals with BCBS no success Lost insurance.
Kaiser Permanente
L3-L4, L4-L5 Prodisc 9/18/09
C5-6 & C6-7 ruptured and looking at hybrid surgery fusion & Prestige ADR