View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconner94 View Post
I had another thought on this topic. IF those surgeon fees are typical for fusion and my expenses are typical for single level ADR, where is the incentive for a surgeon to go to the trouble of learning the new technique and using it where appropriate? I know that it's all supposed to be in the best interest of the patient, but let's be honest, learning a new surgical technique takes time and money. If it will replace something you've been doing for many years and does so at less than 25% of what you receive while taking just as long to perform, who's going to adopt it?

I don't have the answers, just most of the questions.

And Jack, multivitamins usually contain 400 iu of vitamin D3. Just as an example, my physicians recommended 8,000 iu/day. Of course, I haven't seen sunshine here since November, and I was having a surprising number of unusual symptoms, so my dose was based on that. You can always get tested first to help with dosage.

-tc-
From my experience working for a thoracic & vascular surgeon new techniques where not that big a deal. It was mostly building on prior experiences and training. I would see, say an orthopedic surgeon getting speciality training by way of a fellowship to do spine surgery but never saw one once trained to get more than that offered in a CME conference for a new procedure. The powers in the hospital would not let them be turned loose without getting privileges from the hospital's attendings, and of course the fear of malpractice. Department heads held some power as well.

My thoughts are that the disparity between renumeration amongst MDs is way to large. Competition amongst practitioners is stifled by AMA politics. To a degree it is similar to what commercial pilots have and got so out of hand before the government stepped in and changed the way airlines were able to fly their routes. Pilots were paid by seniority number that had nothing to do with skill as long as they were able to get approved by an FAA designated check pilot. Pilot's unions sought more and more, as did mechanics, flight attendants and the airlines just past on the cost till the government stepped in to stimulate competition. Ditto to a lesser extent with Ma Bell.

Talk about a rant, how did I end up on the phone company.

tc, thanks for the info. Hopefully, I have made up by getting sunshine but I'll up my dose after a visit to the drug store. I'll need to check but think D is one of the fat soluble ones and can be overdone.

I've finished with the whiteout and plan on getting them to Harrison soon. Going over them really raised new questions. For instance, nobody said anything about blood but it seems from the bill I was charged for two unit.
Had minimally invasive PLIF with internal fixation on 12/28/09 for isthmic spondylolisthesis of L5-S1 (TDR contra-indicated) DDD at L3-4 & L4-5, All L-Spine doing well. Episodes of no pain at all. After being relatively pain free for 4 months, C-Spine gave up. MRI due 11-1

Last edited by Jack; 03-01-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling