View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Question Prodisc C surgery

Hello. I have been reading many of the post on this site since oct. 2010 and finally just got the courage to become a member. I'm hoping that I can get some additional info. before I decide to have ADR surgery. My C5-C6 herniation has affected my job performance and I fear I must make a decision quickly in order to keep my present job. A neurosurgeon informed me I'm a good candidate for ADR because I have a one level herniation with no other spine abnormalities. He said he has performed more ADR than other neurosurgeons in the area. I did some research on the internet and saw he had some favorable reviews by patients and no licensing issues in the past. But how could I verify that he has performed numerous ADR surgeries in the past?

The doctor said I will not have restriction on activities after 6 weeks. My job requires that I lift 30-35 lbs on occasion throughout the day. Can this be possible? I'm not in constant pain. In fact, I usually just get thumb pain both hands. I do restrict my activities to avoid injury and pain and I'm on prednisone about 3 times a year to reduce inflammation and be able to go to work. Is this surgery indicated for pain relief purposes only or is it meant to restore more normal functioning? Here in Chicago, there are trials for a new disc, M6 possibly. If a person enters a trial,is there a possibility that they must undergo fusion surgery. I would not consider this. I'm also terrified of post surgical pain and restriction on mobility post surgery because I'm a restless sleeper. How bad is the throat and back pain after surgery? Maybe I should just forget about this and get another job. Any Advice?