View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Thank You

Thanks for your response. This answers most of my questions. I will be going for a second opinion at one of the universities with an orthopedic group that has conducted trials on artificial disk replacements. The group is currently looking for volunteers for trials on a new artificial disk, but I don't think I will volunteer. I just want a second opinion on my MRI. I don't truly understand the degree of injury to my disc or spine. I could not figure out where to add my history on this site, but I had three epidurals and some occupational therapy. I was misdiagnosed and informed by two orthopedic md that I had carpel tunnel five years ago. Two years ago, I went to a pain clinic, where I was diagnosed with the cervical herniation.

Somehow, I thought I would get better with the epidurals and the "pain clinic" kept advising me to have another one. I refused the fourth because I realized, I was continually going back to performing the same activities and my injury was aggravated and I was not going to get cured. The epidurals were done under general anesthesia and my insurance was paying about $9000 per epidural. I'm embarrased because I feel I should have known better because I've been a nurse for 22 years. I don't work with people with spine problems, but I see many people with very poor surgical outcomes who suffer the consequences of being too trusting. There seems to be no way to find out if the surgeon is competent other than word of mouth. I emailed the manufacturer of one of the artificial disc to see if my neurosurgeon was one of the md's that could have possibly had experience with ADR, but did not receive a response. I was fortunate to find this site which is where I have found most of the information that will help me make my decision.

Thanks again. Marisette