View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 02:13 AM

Hi Lee,
I think your question is a good one and I think a poll would be a great idea. This is my first post but I thought it might help those looking to lose weight before surgery.

I was rear ended in August of 2004 and was diagnosed with DDD at L4-5 & L5-S1. Before the accident I had no pain, had no idea that I even had DDD. I have been waiting since May 2005 for my ADR @ L4-5 and Fusion at L5-S1. -Surgery delayed due to insurance denials.

At my last appointment, my Neurosurgeon said to me that if I could, I should try to lose 5-10 pounds if possible before surgery. The less I weigh, the better it would be for him during surgery and for my recovery. After that appointment I sat at home and thought "how am I going to be able to lose that weight." It wasn't that I ate bad food, I just didn't eat at the right times (if at all) and the correct portions. Also, because of my back, I CAN'T exercise. I thought losing weight was going to be impossible.

Then I saw a commerical for Nutrisystem, and I thought what the heck, I've tried everything else and nothing has worked. I figured I'd try it for a month, and if it didn't work that I wouldn't have lost anything. It was also a bonus because they ship all of the food right to your door. *Please keep in mind that every body's different and the results that I've had so far may not be the same as someone else's results.

I am 5 feet 6 inches tall and when I started Nutrisystem on June 18, 2005 I weighed 235 pounds. As of today I weigh 178.5 pounds. I have lost 56.5 pounds. The weight loss has not helped at all with my back pain but I'm told that it will help with my recovery. I am very proud of my weight loss, and that I can't exercise but I've been able to lose all of this weight... But I've gotta tell you, I can't wait until after my surgery when I will (hopefully) finally be able to exercise again.

I know that people generally don't like to reveal their weight, believe me it was not easy for me to do. It would be great to hear other's weight in relation to their surgical outcomes.

Good luck Lee in your quest for weight loss!

Andrea