View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 02:48 PM

I know this might be a touchy subject, but I ask because I am overweight by about 40-50 lbs, 6 ft tall.

I read complications are worse for the overweight and obese--infections and poor outcomes. I was wondering (maybe an interesting poll idea?) for those that are success stories if you were of a normal weight, overweight, or obese? The same questions for those that did not have good outcomes?

I have been working on my weight and come a long way but that is part of my mentality I am stuck with, maybe you saw it in my other posts, thinking "If I just loose a more weight, maybe it will be tolerable" So far, the weight loss has not made a difference in the pain level going down. Both my "conservative" dr and the surgeon say even thin people suffer from this kind of problem.

I asked the surgeon in May if he was okay with my weight for the ADR and he said yes, no problem-- but I went into such a downward mental spiral over the Summer and Fall after my 3rd opinion from the insensitive clod who said I "could bleed to death on the table" that I gained 25 lbs I was in such a deep depression that I COULD NOT function. I went home from work and went to bed--barely cleaned, rarely cooked for my family, stopped swimming or walking--I WANTED to function but just couldn't--it is hard to describe--I am ashamed to say. Life became too overwhelming. I could not even face opening my mail (bills).

I hope not to offend anyone with this personal question, I am just trying to learn from you all so I can go into this being as informed as possible. I am trying real hard to get back to the weight the doctor was happy with in May but hard to do when you can't do much briskly enough to burn extra calories.