View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM

That is my dilemma. When I used to throw out my back I was just down for a good week. But this time it has taken hold and won't let go. Some aspects have definitely gotten better but I still have that knot in my back, can't sit comfortably for more than a half hour (it hurts in my tailbone), and every time or twist/bendover the back yells warning signs "I may start spasming on you".

I know my L4/L5 has about had it. It bulges straight back and fills every nook and cranny without putting pressure on the nerves to the side. Actually at the start of this episode I did have tightness behind my left knee that chiro #2 said was sciatica. It wasn't ordinary tightness because I had active release (ART) done on it, lots of stretching, and multiple massages on it. It did finally go away after a half dozen spinal decompression treatments.

My question is how bad does a disc have to get before they will replace it? That is one of the big questions I have. Can I just get the L4/L5 done leaving the other two in place? The two above have mild bulges, show up black on the MRI, and on one the MRI reports a healing annulus tear. I am 47, am very active, do lots of home projects, and have two kids, 3 and 7, that I can't hold or pick up.

Do you do the surgery earlier when you have mild to moderate problems or try to hold try to hold off until you have big time problems, that is the question? I think the recovery may be quicker and easier if I don't wait (less nerve damage). Plus I don't have to be constantly being worrying about throwing out my back.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrad View Post
Vacation or NGO work re Dr Clavel, Philly?

Anyway... I would say you sound too healthy for this kind of surgery. That is my take for what I am hearing. Way too healthy. Just my opinion.

However, how old are you? Height and weight also? Yes, it does matter.

You sound like you are doing very well and there is the reliable process of aging itself that does allow for very many people to live a good life as the anatomy changes and begins 'to settle' into its new position as the deterioration occurs. Not everyone requires this kind of intervention. Some do, most don't.

Your concerns sound minor compared to the burning fire/numbness/sleeplessness/cauda equina symptoms of many folks here. Am I incorrect in that assumption??

after 1990 - would throw out back every year. Spasms, lightning bolts, and crookedness for 3 days followed by tightness for 3/4 days - would recover back to normal in about a week

April 2016 - a small tweek that developed into a full blown throwout is slowly, slowly getting better (back to about 60% in the beginning of Aug)