View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 02:14 PM

One of the things I have not seen much discussion about is getting cost reimbursed for the surgery when your insurance company does not cover it.

My insurance company was pretty clear they would not cover me, but my accountant said he could support filing for unreimbursed medical expenses.

This takes accurate and thorough accounting, but is well worth the effort.

We were able to get our airfare and hotel stays factored in as well as a significant portion of the surgery.

We were out of pocket approximately $45,000 and we received tax credits of over $35,000 which took a lot of the pain out of the process.

Since we paid our taxes in advance with estimated tax paymetns we received a large check back from both the state and the federal government...

People who are debating on whether to have the surgery or not should talk with their tax conultants to see what kind of relief they may be entitled to.

I do not know if tax bracket you are in makes a significant difference. We are a two income family so we paid a lot of taxes out befoer we got the money back...

I assume that what you can get back may be related to what you pay in but, I do not know for a fact how the formula works.