View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 12:38 AM

Well, the appointment at the Barrow Institute was not as productive as I had hoped. The office staff told me the surgeon used the Mobi-C so, I moved forward with my appointment but, the surgeon only uses the Pro-Disc and couldn't remember the name of it during our appointment. That was not very reassuring. He did not recommend an ADR but, rather a fusion. No surprise there. I told him I was not going to get a fusion. I basically got offered the same thing 9 years ago from other surgeons here in Arizona. Now, that's progress! He said the artificial discs move too much so, it's not a good idea to put them next to a fusion. He thinks it will lead to issues with the facets joints. He thinks the ADR's are more appropriate in young stronger cervical spines. I can't say I agree with his responses but, there you go! Anyway, he referred me over to one of his colleagues that teaches how to do surgery with the Mobi-C.

At least I got the prescriptions for the Lumbar and Thoracic spine MRI's so I can rule out those parts of the spine being the source of my leg problems. I already did this before but that was about eight years ago.

He also gave me a prescription for physical therapy. I'd like to get other's opinions on PT. Will it really help if moving is causing me pain that is not muscular in origin? Seems it would just cause me more electrical shooting pains and muscle spasms. I believe I know the limitations of my body. I walk, stretch, use very light weights when I can, do some yoga stretches, was trained in dance, used to train with a trainer so, I think I know a bit about how to work my body and get it strong ... that is when I can move! I was in great shape 9 years ago before my neck gave out But, right now I have to be so careful or I aggravate my body and end up in awful pain. This is the reason I'm seeking surgery again. I really do want to be able to exercise like a normal person again.

The surgeon was concerned that further surgery may not help me or make things worse and perhaps he is correct. Perhaps not.

He said I should get five opinions and I'll know my answer if everyone agrees. That kind of surprised me....it was a good response! So, basically I should come back if I ultimately decide I want a fusion surgery. Dr. Bierstedt recommended two artificial discs....I didn't share that bit of information. I sure wish getting opinions from doctors didn't take so much time!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016