View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Poncho.
Yes, I'm a newbie
I have 4 injured disc levels that are in major need of some help. I am only 36 and completely destroyed my lower back while working as a police officer due to seperate work-related injuries. (L5/S1, L4/L5, L3/L4, L2/L3) Two surgeries later on 2 different levels (discectomy)I now have 4 bad levels as proven by a discogram.
It took me 8 months of fighting with my employer, who is a self-insured city, to finaly accept all four disc levels as work-related injuries and have agreed to pay for ADR (pro-disc) in Europe. The city got thier medical insurance carrier to pay for half the cost of the surgery.
I was also told by doctors that the ADR, as opposed to fusion, would be my best chance of living a normal life again. I have read alot about the different procedures available for lower back injuries and it seems that Pro-disc is the best choice for me. Hopefully I will be having surgery sometime in May at Rudolfinerhaus by Dr Bertagnoli.
Two of my family members will also be going with me to Vienna so I won't get in too much trouble. If there is any information about what to expect at the facility and also lodging recomendations for my family, I would appreciate the help. Hopefully I will be the poster-boy for the only cop working with 4 artificial discs in his back.