Thread: Spider bite?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Spider bite?

Well, I just got back from urgent care, getting checked for what I thought was a "spider bite," that I, perhaps, received up at the cabin last weekend. It got worse and worse, more swollen, red, extremely painful. Turns out I have Shingles. Have never in my life had this diagnosis. I am so shocked. Supposedly, can be aggravated by stress, pain, compromised immune systems, etc. It is on the left side of my neck, and has now traveled to my ear, scalp, and down my left shoulder. The urgent care doc put me on an anti-viral medication, taken 5 times a day, and a topical cream. Now my question is: can they do surgery with this diagnosis?? I just received a voicemail this afternoon that my surgery date is Wednesday, July 2nd. Do these pustules need to be crusted over first, before I could go under the knife? And talk about, what a way to ruin the 4th of July holiday, by being in the hospital. I left a message with the doc's medical secretary about pushing surgery, if possible, after the 4th holiday weekend, but natch, she never called me back today. Needless to say, my uppity and bright spirit has taken a nosedive.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!