View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 PM

Default Second appeal sent by surgeon DENIED

Errrr. Not that I expected any different. My surgeon's second appeal has been denied. I am admittedly, for the first time in this process, very bummed about this. But, that is what insurance companies count on, that you will give up.

I feel fortunate for so many reasons. Mostly that I am not in too much pain and that I can wait for surgery and continue fighting for insurance coverage.

I've already been working on my last and largest appeal, the one that will be sent by me, in anticipation that I will have to fight this till every last option is exhausted. Thanks to this forum, Laurie Todd's book, a few kind people who shared their appeals and my ever persistent researching self, I should have a good case prepared by the end of the week. LDR has also kindly stepped in, and will send an appeal on my behalf. Although this is tempting, I've decided to include their information in my appeal, but not use theirs as my sole defense. When I read the one prepared for my surgeon by them, it was very well thought out and put together, with all the medical jargon and statistics etc that I never could've put together on my own, but it is very mobi-c specific, which leaves out all other important case studies, clinical trials, law suits etc that collectively could have a greater impact for my rebuttal. Although I am seeking a two level with mobi-c I think it's better to include everything.

For those of you who wrote your own appeals, did you bind it? Did you send it to higher up's than the appeal department at your insurance co? Did you fax it or send it certified mail? Any other info would be helpful.
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015