View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Looking for suggestions

Hello and even though everyone says it, I have to say how great this site is! I'm so glad I found it. The real life information means the world when you have so few answers from US Doctors.
I had a herniated disc a little over two years ago. Massive pain, nothing helped, and Surgery cured me. As time went on I added more things back to my work outs. I thought I had disc problems behind me.
After a fast pace trail run I could not get my hamstring to loosen up for the next few days. Woke up one day after trying a lot of rowing and stretching to massive pain. The next day the pain was gone but left calf and part of foot numb and weak.
Due to weakness I was told I needed a Laminotomy and not ready for a Fusion. He fixed me last time, why doubt him this time. On my last visit when I asked how my disc looked he laughed and said I have a pretty collapsed disc. I have invested 10 weeks off work to now wonder should I have replaced the disc, which he does not do and I did not know about.
My biggest problem is standing. My foot has the wadded up sock feeling and I get burning pain in my thigh.
How long should I wait to see another Doctor that does the Pro Disk? Should I get the Pro Disk and try to get insurance coverage or pay a lot more for the M6? If my current Doctor tells me I have a 30% chance of Fusion do I go back to my active lifestyle and wait for things to get a lot worse? I can not work all day and sit or lay all evening. I have to constantly sit at work every so often when I need to be able to stand for extended periods. Also what type of back Brace do people wear? Do they help?

Laminotomy L4-L5 Charlotte N.C. Aug 2014