View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 AM

OMG, anyone and everyone who has or is fighting for insurance to cover ADR should be fighting hard to get this heath care reform bill passed hopefully with a public option.

I pratically lost a decade of my life, career and credit ruined all because private employer provided health care insurance screwed me and my life by refusing to cover my surgery.

1) as long as health insurance is tied to our employment, we have no real choice. When you apply for a job you cant exactly ask what insurance plan they have. You don't get that info until they are making an offer of employment or after you've accepted employment. Therefore, we are at the mercy of our employers to determine the quality of insurance options. Furthermore, national insurance companies should offer the same plans to anyone in the nation. The only regional plans should be smaller regional companies. All markets in all areas of the country should have real choice.

2) Insurance companies are raising premiums, raising co-pays, and covering less, and fighting us by denying and delaying payment on claims while pocketing their profits in risky hedge funds and pay their execs tons of money. I have had to fight for 8 mos to get a physical therapy claim paid. Ridiculous. Just fighting the games played by private insurance companies. someone else may pay out of pocket or just give up and not get the treatment they need. Who says we are not already getting compromised health care because of this terrible existing system of insurance taking our money to cover less and less. What a joke.

3) Quality of PT has drastically declined in the last 5-10 years because insurance will not cover basic PT techniques. NOw a days you are barely touched by a PT but instead left to aides who just record in a chart what exercises you've done. That's not great physical therapy!

4) Democrats are actually trying to even the playing field for patients. Republicans are obstructionists not because they believe its in our best interst but because they think it's in their best political interests. They will keep saying anything they can think of even if it's a patent lie and they hope that you will drink their brand of kool aide if they say it often enough.

5) People need real choice and we need real competition to keep prices down.

6) I'm on Medicare now, and yes the reimbursements are low but I received better health care now than when I had an hmo and ppo when I was sitll working. Now that I'm on Medicare, I have all sorts of plan options to choose from. I never had these choices when I was working. When I was stuck with UHC, they refused to cover my surgery, and I couldn't buy an individual plan without having a pre-existing condition. So how is our current system worth keeping?

7) one thing we want to make sure is in the final bill is the FEHB policy for federal employees which states that once the FDA approves a drug or device, private ins cannot claim it is still "experiental and/or investigational" We want are drs not insurance companies in charge of our health care decisions.

Wake up people, call your congressmen and women to make them vote for meaningful health care reform. Lower premiums, more coverage, lower co-pays, lower prescription costs, and less profits to the CEOs of the healthcare industry.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop