View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 AM

Default Attempt at Direct billing by BlueCard WorldWide

So as i was checking out of Quiron Hospital, Yolanda who is Dr. Clavel's head secretary informed me that BlueCard WorldWide for BCBS insurance attempted to get my medical reports, itemized billing and such. I verified coverage with them before embarking on this venture and was instructed to mail all reports and billing to it's national service center in Florida. The person who requested my information i never spoke with. He's a representative with AXA Assistance USA based out of Chicago. When i called BlueCard Worldwide prior to my travel, they gave me a case number to hold onto in case i had any questions. The rep did mention they would call the hospital to "make sure the surgery went OK", but no allusions to getting all my reports. Think they told a little white lie.

Yolanda could not give this information without prior consent from me. You would think the insurance companies would know things like that by now. I was never instructed by BCWW representative that anyone would be trying to directly get my surgical information. It was all understood that i would be mailing in the medical reports and itemized billing to their Florida center address. I do have a copy of the fax sent by AXA ASSISTANCE USA to Quiron Hospital with my case # given to me printed on the sheet.

This is for those who have this insurance that get prior verification of their coverage benefits for out of the country medical procedures. I think i'm the first one they've tried doing this to. Yolanda was surprised that they requested my information directly, as all their international patients mail in their reports and billing themselves. Maybe BCBS was just trying to expedite the claim...not quite sure what to think about it. I told Yolanda to not fax them anything and if they contact her to tell them i will be mailing in the information myself. Keep in mind, i still paid for this surgery all up front and will be trying to get some reimbursement.

I hope i'm not looking too much into this. More like i'm hoping this is a step in the right direction for insurance companies to take their services more globally and give us patients more freedom to choose without having to jump through all these hoops, and then hope to the good heavens that we see a good chunk of your hard earned dollars come back in our pockets. This is not quite direct billing since i had already paid upfront, but getting pre-authorization with direct billing could be coming in the near future.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.