View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynlite View Post
What are you waiting for? Just go see him! I've been living in chronic and debilitating pain for almost 10 years so, believe me when I say that I very much understand this cycle of pain and how much it destroys your life. I'm sorry you have joined this awful club but, glad you found this wonderful board.

In my opinion, Dr. Clavel is one of the top ADR neurosurgeons in the world and he implants one of the best devices in the world. On top of that, Quiron is a very good and well equipped hospital. After spending months reviewing surgery outcomes on this board, sending my package out to six highly rated surgeons in the U.S. and Europe, plus personally speaking to all the surgeons, Dr. Clavel was and is my choice. I've also spoken to and emailed with many of his patients. I hope to have Dr. Clavel do neck surgery on me this summer.

What's important in making your decision is finding a surgeon you trust first and then getting the best disc. I can't remember the exact number but, Dr. Clavel has implanted over a 1000 devices so, he has more experience than most surgeons in the world and that's what you want. Placement of the device is key in having a successful outcome from your surgery. I've seen some really awful post op x-rays but, never with Dr. Clavel's work. He always places the discs perfectly.

I am not a lumbar patient but, from what I've read on this board, your top choices for devices are between the M6-L or the Activ-L. Dr. Clavel uses the M6-L. You could also speak to Dr. Zeegers who implants the Activ-L in Germany. Dr. Zeegers is one of the founders in ADR going back to I believe the 1980's. You are so fortunate to have these top rated surgeons so close to you! I believe they will give you the best advice on if you are an ideal candidate for an artificial disc or if you will need to have a fusion. Getting two more opinions will help you decide. Hopefully, you will get a consensus but, I never did. It is frustrating to figure out. Surgeons who don't have the experience with ADR's always recommend fusion because it is what they know and it's what has been done for many, many years.

If you want to read success stories for lumbar patients, just use the search feature to find them in the post surgery forum. You will find mostly successful outcomes for both surgeons. There is just a lot more information on Dr. Clavel here because more patients have gone to him from this board. Neither of the surgeons have a 100% success rate unfortunately and that is a risk we all take. Because of the risks, surgery should be done when no other treatment options have worked. I have read of patients that have had to reverse their surgeries later and get fusions so, that is another risk you take but, it's a risk I would take every time. I sure hope you are an ADR candidate Best of luck to you.

Thanks a lot for your answer, cynlite.

Today I've called to the hospital. I will see Dr. Clavel Friday 13 May. I am afraid because if he say "no, you are not a candidate" I will be so depressed because I need to take a chance, something for having forces to life. It's unbeliable, before january 2015 I was a strong man of 264 pounds of muscle, happy in his work (a special group of police), and know I am a man of 196 pounds who live with a constant pain than does'nt allow to do nothing. I know you understand me. I am a warrior but I have lost all my forces, I am exhausted. I WANT TO RECUPERATE MY LIFE AND LIFE STYLE.

I can see you have readed a lot. It is so good. I like to take information too, but all this information is in english laguange and it is not as easy for me. But I do!

I am agree with you: "surgery should be done when no other treatment options have worked". The question is: How much time we have to wait? Have you ever seen a professional sport man waiting years for a recovery? Doctors say: "problems with back need lot of time" Oh, yes, maybe...but this life is not a real life.

I am afraid too with all the risks of the surgery. You say "I have read of patients that have had to reverse their surgeries later and get fusions". wow.. But what do you mean?? they have fusion after ADR?? all together?

Finally, you have readed a lot of testimonials. Do you know some sport man or people with jobs like me?

By the way, if you want you can send me a private message and we can change our telephone numbers. We could send us some whatsaps. When will you come to Barcelona? When will you have your surgery?

Regards

JANUARY 2015 -MRI : Herniated disc ( posterior medial hernia) in L5S1 . Does not compress the sciatic nerve.

My life is a nightmare. I canĀ“t work or doing sport. PAIN , PAIN AND PAIN

PAIN IN MY BACK, NO PAIN IN LEG