View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 AM

Hey guys,

thank you for your replies and your suggestions.
It helps a bit to know that everything seems to feel as it should right now

However, what unsettles me are the diverse opinions about the do´s and dont´s and when to start with PT or some moderate load in general.
The statements vary between 6 weeks and 6 months which is quite a difference
For example, how about riding a bike? I am not thinking of riding a fully in rough forest terrain but an ordinary bike on an even surface and in quiet surroundings. Or what about driving a car? This means: when am I allowed or able to do the things that belong to "everyday life"?

Having lost all confidence and feeling for my body, I am the type of guy who is inclined to avoid everything other than lying, sitting, standing or moderate walking. And this most likely for much longer than I probably should.
I can´t imagine this to be helpful for the facets, muscles and tissue if I move stiff like a robot, let´s say for the next 3 months.
Weight is not an issue (6"1, 176 lbs / 1,85 m, 79 Kg) but I lost a lot of muscle tissue (especially at my legs and at the core) since I haven´t had any activity for weeks and laid in bed for almost 2 weeks prior to the surgery because I was not able to move any more. I always thought that it´s important to restore these muscles as soon as possible.

How about massage? Did you have some and did it help you?

@Roman
I did not do the L5/S1 level because my doctor/surgeon says, that there is no need to do it and his explanation seemed plausible to me.
As you can see in my signature, I had a surgery in 2003 at the L5/S1 level. I have several MRIs that were made nearly once a year over the last decade. Since this second surgery, nothing has really changed at this level. There was no further decrease of height monitored over the last 10 years and the rest of the disc is ossified, so it´s unobtrusive. My doctor says that there is barely any movement in this segment and that restoring movement at this level would not be of any help for me – on the contrary, in my case it could cause a lot of problems, he says. Even a fusion at this level seemed not to be necessary... and I am glad of it.

@drewrad
If you ask me if I have chosen one of those worshiped doctors in germany that everybody in the world seems to talk about, my answer is no and probably nobody here knows my doc. His name is Dr. Ropers and he´s chief physician of the clinic I have been to. Of course his focus is spine surgery and fusion and ADR in particular.
At the end I had not much choice.. the prolapse was so severe that I had no time and no power to travel my country first, getting more opinions or chosing any well known distinguished expert.
It was just lucky that the hospital next to my home has established a competent spine center some years ago with a small team of experienced surgeons like Dr. Ropers.
As far as I can evaluate it, he did the job as good as Dr. Ritter-Lang, Bertagnoli or all the other saints

@Fathub
Thanks for the exercise regime. This will be of some help..

Regards,
Lasse
- Black disc / disc bulge at L4/5 for many years with strong, recurring pain episodes due to pinched nerve root
- ADR at L4/5 on 6/6/2016 with Spinal Kinetics M6 L