View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Default Hi JJames and Cathyjp

Jjames,

I went to Germany for my 4 level and my insurance pays for all doctor and procedures needed in my follow up, both Medicare and my secondary, Anthem Blue Cross/Shield. Medicare will not cover any ADR in or out of country. Am trying to get my secondary to cover, after the fact, which they previously said they would do (even got a check for $99) for a bill at St. Elisabeth, Straubing, Germany). Then they started giving me the run around which I expected, but will keep trying.

I went to Germany for surgery: 1) no one would do a 4-level here and one of the gurus of multiple levels is Dr. Bertagnoli, so why not go to the one with the most experience. 2) even if there was someone here that would do it, out of pocket, even with flights and hotels, was cheaper in Germany.

You are so close to Dr. Yue at Yale, I would make an appointment with him. He is probably the most experienced on the east coast, and has been involved in the clinical study and approval of the ProDisc-C made by Synthes in PA. He and Dr. B have written articles together and he has trained with Dr. B here and in Germany. If anyone can help you with a decision and with insurance, I'm sure he could.

Kimmers
Quote:
wonder how he made that happen?!
I think?? this happens in the early stages, before it goes into clinical studies and the FDA becomes involved. Somehow they get insurance companies to pay for "a fusion", the manufacture donates the device, instruments, maybe pays the doctor, hospital, something? I read that paulam310 received a 3-level ProDisc-C in 2004 with Dr. Delamarter and his insurance paid. That was before PD-C was in clinical trials?, it only got FDA approval for 1-level in December 2007. So who knows what happens. What good is FDA approval if your insurance won't pay.

Maybe with Obama, some of this will get changed. Republicans don't yell at me, I'm one of you and don't believe in socialized medicine (talk to the Canadians). The insurance companies profits are huge and the exec's are paid well, so I'd think it would be moral of them to "share", opps there I go again. SORRY, didn't mean to and rave.

Good luck Jjames! I think the post from your wife and your response were great.

Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany