View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 AM

Default maybe I can help...

Joker,
I am not a doctor and so take this info with that into account.
You will need to speak to a physician to get the exact meaning of this.
But I can tell you the meaning of some of this as far as I can figure out.
Re your MRI:
The retrolisthesis of L5/S1 in layman terms means the L5 disc is sitting back on the S1 disc. It does not say how far back it is. There are different causes.
A decrease in signal intensity I believe means that the disc is degenerated. As a disc degenerates, its signal decreases. More degenerated discs typically show up as darker on T2 MRI.
DJD is degenerative joint disease.
Intervertebral osteochondrosis of the twelfth thoracic through fourth
lumbar vertebrae:
Spinal: Scheuermann's disease (of the interspinal joints) which is a curve in the thoracic spine.[6] (from Wikipedia, which BTW is not the best medical reference as information can be added by nonphysicians). But this is what I found there.
Your MRI report does not state there are any nerves being compressed nor central canal compression. It does state you have facet joint disease but does not state how severe. Facet joint disease can be a pain generator.

Joker, I can tell you what I have experienced and I hope this is of some help. It takes some time to break down the whole MRI report, so I just hit some of the info.

I had leg numbness with both my L4/5 and L5/S1 discs. This happened at two separate times. With my L5/S1 MRI, the results were essentially normal. There was mild protrusion of the L5/S1 disc. I had sciatica down both my legs and had foot pain plus back pain (the symptoms started with back pain and then progressed.) I had two discograms as my pain doctor didn't think I exhibited enough pain on the first one and no problem was seen in the CT afterwards and they wanted to make sure it was the DDD causing the pain. On the second one, I had significant pain (10/10) and the doctor saw the annular tear in the L5/S1 disc. The CT after discogram did not show anything. I went on to have ADR at L5/S1.
The back is incredibly complicated and you have to narrow down which pain generator/generators are involved.

Good luck and I hope I have not confused you further.

Kimmers