View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 AM

Hello All,

I am a new member but have been hiding in the background checking this site out for a couple of months now. I must say, the information here is amazing and the compassion and understanding is clear as we are all in the same boat. I'm not sure what people did 10 years ago for researching medical questions without the internet.

My synopsis. 40 year old male (feel like I went from 39 to 69 over the past year). On and off back pain for years. Chiro would fix and in a couple of weeks, I'd be back in the game. Jan 05 had a major flare up and have not gotten better since. MRI's, ESI, PT, Chiro, and other conservative measures. MRI showed "Minor" DDD L4-S1. Bulge at L3/4 and L5/S1. I have almost all low back pain with minor (5%) tingling periodically in left leg. Sitting hurts most (especially in car) standing, etc. No/minimal pain when laying down. After it was clear that my DDD is most likey the cause of my pain, met with two OSS's over the past 2 months. Went through all stages of anger, denial, depression and finally at acceptance and what do I do now. Pain is constant at the 4 level spiking periodically up. Most activities limited or eliminated. Am using Mark to begin eval process in Germany and US. I am at that typical evaluation point of am I bad enough to risk major surgery. I have never spent a day in the hosiptal in my life (except of course when I was born .

My question relates to more conservative measures at this time. Over the past month, I have felt better, been a bit more active, but the pain is there. I felt, and my Doctor's here feel, that I am ready to start PT again and see if we can keep away from surgery. Had my first session yesterday (very mild) and pain is back today. It's that deep burning pain the L5/S1 region that radiates accross SI joints. Definitely not muscle pain. I hope to keep trying PT and fight through this as PT really seemed to help last spring before I had the blow up of all blow ups in May. I have heard of PT not working for some because once they start, it begins the process of the toxic fluids leaking from the disc. Wondering about this and if anyone has experience in this.

Sorry for the long post. Future ones will be shorter. Thanks

Craig