View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Prepping for c5/c6 decompression - surgical choices

Hi Folks,

So after almost 14 years of conservative therapy it seems I now require surgery at c5/c6 to protect/preserve nerve function. This is mainly due to the exhaustion of free space around the right nerve in conjunction with related symptoms.

A local consult suggests M6-c ADR at c5/c6 (if viable) to give adjacent segments the best chance as neither are in the best condition. Previous consults have suggested fusion or ADR at c5/c6 or c5..c7.

I was feeling quite happy (well, as happy as one can be) with the latest consult but just recently heard of some M6-c failures. It seems there have been at least 2 cases requiring revision due to the nucleus becoming detached with related radiculopathy and incipient myelopathy. Maybe with the number of M6s implanted these numbers are not so significant compared to other issues requiring revision but they've got me concerned. Does anyone have any additional information on this topic?, or suggestions for alternative ADRs?

Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of shared information.
2006 Spring - Large hard broad based herniation c5/c6 with rightward bias
2006 Autumn - Left biased prolapse C6/c7
Physio etc since car crash, PRT since 2009
2019 - symptoms (arm, hand) worsen, "no space" left for right nerve root c5/c6, minimal cord compression
2019 Dec - 2 level ADR C-ESP SANA Köln (Dr. Biren Desai), C5/C6, C6/C7