View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 07:30 PM

Default New here! An Introduction

Hi all,

I have been a lurker here for a little while but I thought it was time I introduced myself.

I feel my problems started for me at age 17 when my family and I were involved in a 27 motor vehicle pile up during a snowstorm in Dec 1984. I remember having severe neck pain for at least a week afterwards but because of circumstances never saw a doctor about it.

In my early 30's I finally had my first xray and cervical DDD was diagnosed. In those early years I had several pain blocks, and dealt with the pain using anti-inflammatories, Tylenol, etc. Two years ago I started having significant arm pain after a sitting in a truck on a long road trip. The rest of the trip was a bust because I have never had pain that bad. After several xray's a CT and an MRI I was diagnosed with nerve impingement caused by 2 herniated disc's at C5-6 and C6-7. The muscle weakness I have found has been the most difficult thing for me to deal with as I can't hold things well with my left hand and I get constant muscle spasms.

So I saw a neurosurgeon last October who gave me three options. 1. Do nothing and let nature take it's course, 2. Two level fusion or 3. Two level disc replacement. So I decided that at my age (47 year old lady) that I wanted to try to keep my mobility in my neck and after much research I decided on the ADR on the two levels. I am in Canada so I have been waiting 8 months for my procedure which is scheduled for June 11/2015 Yikes! but I am very lucky because my medical will cover the cost of the procedure.

I am soooo nervous about the procedure which happens in just 4 days, my stress level has been through the roof as I have been interviewing for someone to take over my job and now I have to orientate this person for the next three days. My procedure will take place in Victoria BC by a neurosurgeon who has been doing ADR's for several years. Still the butterflies are getting the better of me.

Cheers,
Sherry
June 11/2015 ADR C6-7 ACDF C7-T1