View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 04:18 PM

MarysHelp, Welcome to the forum!!!

I am a newbie to this forum, too, but had a cervical fusion fifteen plus ago, that is making me wish that I had more information back then. Others that may know more about ADR's than I do, can provide you with that information. However, may I suggest that you consider the information that I wrote in posts at...

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f45...42/#post109517

and, for information on my surgeon, please go to...
http://wuphysicians.wustl.edu/physician2.aspx?physnum=794 and click on some of the buttons there, too.

I have had some troubles since my cervical fusion of then (1999) that I did not connect to the metal implant, but now see it has most probably been a BIG influence on my life. You may be lucky that this may not apply to you... but, if you happen to wind up in the small minority, it will affect your life.

I have recently (Feb 2015) been tested as being "Highly Reactive" to nickel by a metal-lymphocyte-transformation test done by Orthopedic Analysis lab in Chicago, IL, and reactive (allergic) by a patch test done by my local wise-dermatologist to chromium, nickel and cobalt metals, also.

A good deal earlier (circa 1981) I had had a fall and had to have some metal implants for bone fixation for some fractures. I had developed some symptoms back then, that dissipated with the removal of the metal fixation implants. I did not connect a certain symptom with that metal back then. But, see now that the metal of more recent time (1999) may well be the reason for some my multiple problems.

I am making arrangements to have this lastest metal removed. I wish that I had seen the connection and had the metal removed earlier. Such is life!

The BIG question for you... ADR or fusion???? Once your vertebra are fused, the metal can be taken out most likely, but the ADR metal would remain if you chose that avenue of treatment. Metal reactivity testing may be an assist to you to arrive at a good decision for you.

Wishing you and all, wellness!

Old Codger
79 year old, loves to be very active, but am hampered as time goes on. Partial Cervical Fusion in July 1999, C4&5, C5&6; 2 each-Surgicals for Spinal Stenosis to eliminate neuropathy in feet and lower legs-Sept 2002, no help; Neuropathy cont'd for fifteen years; Clue to neuropathy from past history and new found info of allergy to chromium, nickel and cobalt.