View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM

1. Survey results - 6 levels: four cervical and two thoracic. As of this time two cervical ADR. Two cervical untreated. Two throracic untreated.
2. Etiology and origin: Trauma by fall from overhead stand with 200 lb hog carcass in 1987. Bruised all over going down thru augers, supports. Regained consciousness with scalding water splashed out of santizer above that was splashing off hardhat onto chest. Flat on back with carcass across my knees. Shoulders on floor, back of head vertical against neighboring overhead inspection stand (the one with the sanitizer splashing scalding water out on me). Chin pushed into chest. Hard hat still on but back of head badly bruised. Don't know why I lived. Don't know how I got up and walked away to get myself cleaned up and returned to work. By that evening terrible pain and aches all over the body. Emergency room told me it was trauma bruising. No broken bones. Chest Xrays showed T6 and T11 disc spaces narrowed. Slow progression of symptoms over 20 years. First addition to body aches and pains (thought to be chronic pain) was carpal tunnel, then tennis elbow, tendonitis in most parts of upper extremities, radial neuropathy.........couldn't button my shirt or get my socks on or zip my pants some days at last. Lost a 23 year professional career to disability.
3. Diagnosis: Misdiagnosed as Chronic pain, then inappropriate surgeries. Finally convinced local GP to take cervical spine MRI. Mayo Clinic not able to repair 4 narrowed and protruding cervical discs. Two spine centers turned me away from ADR trials because too many levels damaged.
4. Pathogenesis: Not neurological pain. Not psychological pain. It was immunological pain from undiagnosed disc herniation. Nucleus pulposa out about cervical spinal cord started cytokine cascade. Whole body aches and pain in addition to the area specific deficiencies due to loss of disc height. Can furnish peer-reviewed references to better explain thinking.
5. Treatment: Dx by Dr. Delamarter, Santa Monica, CA thru discography. C5-C6, C6-C7 Prodisc surgeries by Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany Dec 2006. Got my arms and hands back immediately even though weak. Body aches left within about 1 month. Remainder of discs bothersome at times but I have my life back with the usual aches and pains of overdoing things! A very special Thank-you to those great ones that got my problems figured out!