View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM

Nairek:

I can't speak for your personal financial situation but this is what I had to do. I had a lawsuit going on over the accident that caused a collapse in my spine of previous damaged discs. Blue Cross denied the local surgeon's payment for putting in 2 Charite discs in my lower spine. He wanted 55,000 for 2 discs (Charite). I then went to Germany and had 4 level ADR surgery at a cost of 60,805.00 plus travel, hotel, food for two. Blue Cross denied that surgery claiming it was investigational. I had the surgery and got money back from my lawsuit. I shelled out 73,000 from the time of the accident out of my pocket for co-pays with surgery on my damaged shoulder, medications, MRI's, myleogram, discogram, epidurals, trigger point injections, etc., etc. I got 71,330 after my attorney was paid. I then got 3700 from AFLAC leaving me with a little ahead money. Considering I got nothing for two years of pain and suffering after the accident I did not get rich. I received word two weeks ago that Blue Cross paid my surgery in full. The hospital in Germany has since wired my money back to me.
You may look overseas to get cheaper surgery and get it refunded vs. very expensive surgery in the States not being covered.

Definitely a risk but it paid off in the end. I've seen one level bills in the States running as high as what I got having four levels done.

Good-luck and continue to fight the good fight.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5