View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 06:57 PM

Dr Bertagnoli is recommending a 3 level. The disk preference was not mentioned so I have asked. I am starting to lean this way because it will be a longer term solution than leaving one marginal disk in place.

Dr. Clavel’s opinion was to replace L4/L5 but did not indicate any action on the other disks. I have followed up with them to see if that means he doesn't think they should be worked on or if he was only looking at the disk that is causing me pain right now.

I have cycled through all the over the counter medicine (advil, tylenol). They world ok but my Dr. thought diclofenac would be better and not as harmful to my stomach.

Right now the pain is manageable without meds. I have opted for another epidural to see if I can get through the summer. I am still very limited in what I can do and nowhere near as active as usual so I will most likely need to pick a long term solution and move forward.

My DDD is most likely the result of a highly active life (School sports, 40 years skiing, 30 years weights and golf) and a genetic disposition. My mother has had two microdiscectomies and father has been plagued with back problems for 30 years. Many of those years he has not been able to do much at all and it really limited a lot in his life. I don’t want to go down that path of just being fearful that anything I do will set my back off and put me in crippling pain.
Microdiscectomy l4/5 Left Side 2007
Microdiscectomy l4/5 Right Side Jan 2022
Reherniation l4/l5 RightSide Oct 2022
Chronic back problems with multiple episodes per year of back pain since 2007
MRI show significant DDD L3-S1
4/20/23 - Hybrid 4/5 Active-l 5/1 ALIF