View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 05:08 PM

I had 3 level cervical. Like you, I waited years and tried to stay fit and manage. I had hoped that FDA would act faster than I would deteriorate. That wasn't happening. Didn't want fusion, and knew that I would only get worse by doing nothing. Now I wish I had done it sooner, might have spared one level of the 3. So the choice is actually relatively easy when you step back from the details.

The longer you wait, the more chance something goes wrong that might disqualify you from ADR or that nerve damage becomes longer to heal, or not heal at all, following surgery. All surgery has risk, HO might turn your ADR into a less mobile device....but what does the research say about HO? Is it a risk that is apparent from looking at MRI's or does it really manifest itself in a practical problem like pain from a failed surgery? Plus, there are things that you might be able to do to lessen its possibility.

Yes, you might have vocal cord damage. Yes, you might get an infection. So many what ifs. But you do what you are already doing. Research, and picking a great doc like you have and a great place like TBI. It is a risk /reward trade off. Imagine if you are pain free for the rest of your life?

Does it make you feel any better that TBI disqualified me for ADR at any level, let alone 3. Clavel, God bless him, took me on as patient and gave me 3. I am recovering from a serious whiplash type injury 2 weeks following surgery, that gave me 8 staples in the back of the head to close the wound. But I am still doing better than I was pre surgery, and now I have peace of mind that these discs don't easily move out of place! Actually, I am a lot better than before surgery, since I have faith that things will get better with time, PT, etc and not just get worse.

Good luck with your decision. Trust your instincts. PM if you have specific questions. By the way, many successful patients, don't post often, since they are living their lives.
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona