View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 07:39 AM

Default Making a final decision

I was diagnosed with cervical stenosis in 2011. Had carpel tunnel release in 2012, both wrists, relieving majority of hand and arm tingling and numbness. tried multiple therapies, anything to avoid fusion surgery, but no lasting improvements. In the last year my pain has increased and life is degrading to a point where I must take surgical action. I always told people I was waiting for disc replacement, and now my time has come. I need multiple level cervical ADR, and have just gotten a proposal from Dr. Bertagnolli in Germany. I thought this many levels were not yet approved in the U.S. and know they've had a lot more experience in Europe, and have seen two other surgeons here in CA who still insist on fusion. Also just made appt. for consultation at the Cedars Sinai Spine Inst., and will be seeking patient advice and experience here, to help with making my final decision. I have multiple problems with the area ( degeneration, kyphosis, bone spurs, arthritis ..... often referred to with different medical terms ) and the more I read it seems my pain is not typical of stenosis and pinched nerves, primarily pain is still neck and shoulders. I am sure most of you recognize the difficulty involved in making a truly informed decision. My frustration makes me almost wish I could just believe the great surgeon Gods' diagnoses and get on with this, but that just isn't who I am. I look forward to learning a lot more through you kind folks participating here. Thanks in advance, and be well.

Andrea