View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Default ADR verses fusion at L5/S1

Hi all,

I have been sending out my MRI and other information to a few different surgeons. So far, I have only heard back from the Texas Back Institute. They recommended that I get an ADR at L4/L5 and a ALIF fusion at L5/S1 (a hybrid). When I asked why fusion was recommended at L5/S1 rather than an ADR, I was told it was because I did not have much disk space left at this level. (I have only been corresponding with Christine, the doctor's representative). Do any of you know the reason why a fusion would be recommended at L5/S1 for people with a lot of disc degeneration at that level? I know there is not much movement to begin with at the L5/S1 level and it's my understanding that since there is no disc below L5/S1 and I would be having an ADR at the level above it, that there's not much risk of hurting adjacent discs. Still, fusion is a lot more expensive, and I've heard that the surgery takes longer and that the recovery is longer. I definitely trust the Texas Back Institute and I've heard many great things about them. I'm just curious to know what other people's thoughts are on the question of doing ADR vs. fusion at L5/S1.

All the best, Juliette
Loads of conservative treatment
2000, IDET procedure L4/L5 & L5/S1,
2001, orthoscopic laminectomies L4/L5 & L5/S1 & orthoscopic discectomy L4/L5.
Surgeries didn't help
Recent years- stem cell & PRP injections- helped a little.
Recent MRI & x-rays show DDD & facet arthrosis in lower back & DDD & bone spurs in cervical spine.
3/22/17 L4-S1 ADR with Dr. Clavel