View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 AM

Default Spinal Kinetics M6 and SCUBA

I had a double cervical ADR with two M6s in Nov'09. This July we're spending nine days on Isla Mujeres, Mexico. I was planning to make a couple of dives, and then remembered that these M6's are soft and will change shape with increased pressure (which is why I selected them). In addition to the flexible core, there is also "space" in between the outer cover and the core. If Spinal Kinetics filled that space with an inert gas rather than a liquid, then that area can be compressed by the underwater pressures also.

Obviously I can't dive without assurance from Spinal Kinetics that my M6's have been tested under the pressure of at least three atmospheres.

I've tried since the week before Christmas to get this information from Spinal Kinetics. When I was a prospective customer I was given access to any engineer in the company it seemed. Now that they've got my money, I am allowed to speak only with the receptionist and to leave phone messages for a sales person that won't call me back. I've even written the CEO; all to no avail.

To anyone considering an M6, the next time you speak with a Spinal Kinetics engineer, would you ask them about SCUBA and then get back to me with what they say?
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011