View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Default Obama's plan... computerizing medical records

Well, yeah... that's a question. On a similar and somewhat related issue... part of the big new plans being put into place is interrelated medical records. "Computerizing Medicine" It makes so much sense in so many ways... prescriptions can be easily found in any state so wherever you are, refills are simple and mistakes of conflicting scripts less likely to happen. Doctors can see the histories so tests can be compared, etc. Plus it will force even small doctors to computerize, then having access to better information, new treatment options, etc.

Of course, that also means prescriptions CAN be found from all places/states... so no one can 'cheat the system' by getting similar scripts from different doctors at different pharmacies (like say... oxcodone from pain doc and percocet from GP because the oxy just doesn't knock back the pain sufficiently). That's a good thing... since it will highlight the incredibly small group that may be getting scripts for resale, but it does also hit our personal rights a bit. Histories available to doctors are also available to insurance companies and most likely (in one way or another) even any company that might hire you. So, if you've been depressed while fighting back pain, repaired the back and off the anti-depressants... a company will see you've been treated for depression. Good? Maybe. How about the insurance company that now sees "mental disorder" or "orthopedic problems" (what if the back was hurt in an accident?) or simply "too many doctor visits" as a preexisting condition... and refuse to cover someone?

I'm an American first, then you have to layer Texan on top which is likely affecting my perspective. Quite frankly I don't think our gov't or records kept to track us, should be determining what we can do. I think all that computer power should be used to allow us to access to clear and precise information, but y'know, if Joe decides he needs another script and a doctor prescribes it, so be it. If Susie tends to lose things and misplaces her script and gets another one, it's her business. But I don't even find it appropriate for there to be work histories quite frankly... probation periods cover what someone is and isn't capable of...what they did before shouldn't be used to jade opinions of them (usually before they even get the chance to interview... I know; I did it). Anyway, I honestly do not like the thought my medical history is going to be 'out there' with comments from both qualified docs and quacks I've seen. (I wonder what it really reads like? LOL) On the other hand, it could also have docs only noting those things that are truly pertinent and appropriate for anyone to read.

In the genetic coding issue... frankly, I think the issue is the insurance side of it, not the record or information. Life insurance is generally a rip off (other than that required by businesses for key employees, I suppose). If we put aside that money wisely from an early age... just maybe it wouldn't be a consideration. Disability insurance is similar, and I do think it should kick in for all people who are wage earners... not just those who have a company that chose to add the insurance. No one should be 'planning a disability'. Yup, genetics could predict those that will have Huntington's for example, but you know... I kind of think those folks deserve the same disability insurance anyone else has.

So... I think what's important is that we pay close attention to ALL this legislation and we start NOW...SOON... to make changes at the core of insurance companies. The issues aren't the advancements in science, the issues are a completely unregulated business run amok. I'm anti regulation in general, but oversight and sensibly requiring certain equalities (like... ALL people get insurance if they pay for it or gov't provides, and ALL services are paid at a similar rate, not the huge differences now seen from company to company and the biggest hit to private pay!).

To answer the question you're actually asking, Harrison, I have to say that Hell No! I don't think we should prevent ourselves from learning all we can about ourselves. We should learn everything we can, and use those predictors to keep us healthier. I say Bull****! to being forced to avoid learning information about ME for ME.... because it could be abused? We *have* to take a strong stance to stop and even prevent abuse of our personal...everything. But fear isn't going to stop me from doing a D*&( thing.

Hmmm... sorry for the expletives. I'm visiting San Francisco and spent the afternoon at incredible Grace Cathedral and walked the labyrinths there, contemplating my path with God. I don't think expletives are a good thing, but these aren't directed at anyone... just directed at concepts. Concepts I love to consider and even debate.

Debi

Deborah

C3-5 fused 2001
Hub: C3/4 fused 2001
Hub: TDR Prodisc L4/5, Fusion L5/S1 on 3/3/2009