View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 02:00 PM

Default Decided to take the plunge L5S1 ADR 07/18/16

I injured my back 14 years ago and am pretty used to the pains I get in my right glutes, I've tried all sorts of treatments over the years, Bowens, physio, osteopaths, etc etc. Finally managed to keep it at bay for about 6 years doing Stott Pilates. Did so well I was able to run 2 half marathons (fool). The last 18 months or so my left leg and foot started to cause problems, muscle appeared to be seizing up and foot was burning, had numerous treatments on my leg before GP finally referred me to the fracture clinic!!! They sent me for mri which took 6 months to get the results and confirm its referred pain from my back.

I had the steroid injection a few months ago but hasn't made any difference at all. Been back to see consultant he's disappointed it didn't have any effect. He has been really good, is the only professional that could explain every symptom I was getting and tie them all together and was the first time it made any sense! L5/S1 has degenerated from the injury all them years ago and he's surprised I'm not getting nerve pains in both legs due to nerve space and that my multifidus muscle in my back isn't working, hence glute pain.

I like to think I'm a young 47, Pilates once a week at a very good centre where the instructor does sports injuries treatments and has a lot of knowledge re back injuries etc. I exercise regularly and have no doubt that if I didn't train the way I do it would be ten times worse, it's just knowing when not to aggravate it! Bit of a catch 22 sometimes.

It's now affecting my sleep, wakes me up when I move, get shooting pains in my glutes and can't lay on my left side as leg gets really numb and foot starts to burn. Can't run anymore which I'm finding really frustrating now that the weathers improving.

Sometimes I do feel a bit of a fraud as others are so much worse, but I still like to think I have plenty of years ahead and want to be able to get a decent nights sleep and do the things I enjoy.

Anyway consultant has said I am a very good candidate for ADR and was very supportive and has answered all my questions. Past surgeries I have healed quite quickly. I was concerned as I had successful bladder surgery 16 years ago and don't want it messed up. He said he can use the same skin area to open up but a different muscle area higher up to avoid the work done to my bladder.

I pretty much now just want to be fixed. Not worried about the surgery and I do trust him and know that the worst part is the built up! Once it's done it's just a case of healing.

Time flies so I'm staying positive and hoping this time next year I will have wondered what all the fuss was about.
2011-2015 - started running, x2 half marathons
2014 - started getting pains left leg into foot
2015 - diagnosed DDD L5S1
2016 - glute pain returned
07/18/16 - ADR L5/S1 M6