View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srajan0929 View Post
hey Dave, do you think the mechanical imbalance is actually a risk of prolotherapy? as per my understanding, the treatment gets your joints strong. but does it make it look bigger? i have seen before and after treatments on skeletons and the skeletons do look bigger. if that is a source of worry down the line who knows. did you get a diagnosic facet injections to rule out that you don't have any facet issues? i think that would be a great step prior to getting any sort of ADR put in your body...

raj
Haven't gotten facet injections or a discogram so I will discuss the possibility of getting both with the surgeon.

The only reason I mentioned a mechanical imbalance is because I had Hauser do 2 treament sessions strictly on the right side of my back. He normally does both sides, hence my own "interperation" of balanced versus imbalanced. whether it has anything to do with my current issues is just a crazy guess.

Prolo has nothing to do with altering bone structure. It is about making the ligaments and tendons that link the vertebrae together, thicker and stronger. Ligaments/tendons will not show up on an X-ray or MRI. Early prolo studies on animals showed significant ligament strengthening via before/after biopsies. People tend to get preoccupied looking at what shows up on MRI's/x-rays and forget that there are massive bands of ligaments/tendons doing important mechanical work down there.

The reasoning goes that surgery weakens ligaments/tendons by leaving weaker scar tissue behind and the narrowing intervertebral spacing over time leads to ligament laxity. Prolo just strengthens and sort-of "shrinks" the ligaments/tendons to help reduce excessive relative motion that can develop between the vertebrae. In a way strengthening the ligaments/tendons that connect the vertebrae helps make up for weakened discs. Hauser explains it 1000X better than me in his book
2000: 5 Prolotherapy treatments (successful)
2009-2013: reinjury but prolotherapy treatments (8 total) have diminishing effect
2013-:Switch to prolozone treatments. 2 completed. So far so good....