View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Default Summary - Robustness M6C

To summarize my thread, querying the M6C Robustness, I have studied the WEB quite intensively on ADR's and therefore postulate, without addressing surgical issues, the following:

1) Reliability of the M6C:
There are no clinical studies available that prove the reliability of the M6C even though it is in use since 2005 (may be earlier) and 25 000 discs have apparently been implanted to date.

Hopefully my M6C will last the intended 40 years (Info Spinal Kinetics). The dilemma is that nobody can tell before hand and only time will tell.

This means we have to trust the manufacturers which is not always good. For example the Galileo disc from Signus had to be recalled and the implants had to be removed.

This brings me to the next point.

2) ADR or Fusion?
The most emphasized selling point of the ADR versus fusion is that it is supposed to reduce or prevent ASD. There are many articles comparing the effects of ADR and Fusion. All articles conclude that there was no statistically significant difference in the reduction or elimination of ASD.
e.g. http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com/...707_093217.pdf

So I asked myself, which decision will reduce the likelihood of a second operation?

3) Likelihood of Revision / second surgery
Due to ASD a 2nd surgery might be required both after fusion or ADR.
An additional risk is the unknown mechanical reliability of the ADR which might call for a premature revision operation.

If there is a risk of mechanical failure, which ADR is the best?

4) Which ADR?
From the mechanical loading point of view the M6C seems to mimic the loading of a natural disc better than other devices. This also makes the M6C quite complex and for that reason more vulnerable to wear and tear.

Now I am back to square one, robustness....

My Conclusion:
There are no clear answers with respect to the mechanical reliability of ADR's. Only time will tell which is not a comfortable secure feeling.
This makes the decision with respect to fusion versus ADR very tough.
This is why this Forum and similar are so valuable to the users and future patients of ADR's.

This article (July 2012) I feel elaborates the pros and cons of ADR's quite well.
Cervical disc arthroplasty: Pros and cons Moatz B, Tortolani P J - Surg Neurol Int

@Harrison
There is plenty information on good surgeons in this forum. (A good surgery I also value as the most important factor for a successful ADR operation).

May I suggest to start a sub-forum where everybody can post experiences of ADR's with respect to mechanical failures. Over time this will be a helpful data base for newcomers on the various ADR's.

I wish everybody in the forum all the best.
Thank you for such a great job on the forum.
By the way, tomorrow will be my follow up visit at the hospital (post 8 weeks).
Pain vanished - Numness remains - Strength in right arm not fully recovered