View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 09:28 PM

Hi, new ADR friends. The Insurance Warrior is in the house.

I published the book myself, I have 4,500 of them right here on the premises, and I sell it from my website www.theinsurancewarrior.com

Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon are all pretty much money pits for authors. They are not much interested in self-published books unless the author is hooked up with a major distributor, and major distributors take another huge cut, and aren't much interested in self-published authors.

If I sell the book to you directly, I get to keep $14.95. If I sell it through a major chain with a distributor involved, I would be lucky to clear about $1 to $1.50 per book.

I fervently desire to continue being the Insurance Warrior, keep raising these issues publicly, keep helping folks to win their appeals. So, for now, I keep it all simple and cost-effective.

These appeals are not won because we prove that our cases are just, and they are not won because we provide the best information. They are won by intimidation! It is pretty much a huge bluff-down, designed to make the insurer suspect that we might be a lawyer, know a lawyer, or have a lawyer hiding in the woodpile.

Standing strong, hanging tough, being the alpha dog ... that is how we win. We don't take it personally. We are peaceful warriors. We understand that it is their job not to pay, and our job to make them pay.

I had a metastasized abdominal cancer, and my oncologist said, "There IS no treatment for your disease. And, even if there were, they wouldn't pay for it." My written appeal was the only thing standing between me an certain death.

I spent two months researching, reading lawsuits, scoring all the free legal advice I could score, and turning myself into the finest lawyer that money could buy.

I had no money, I had lost my business, I had no influence. I had to win big, which I did. When I got done with them, they eagerly paid every penny.

I underwent a second massive surgery, from the world's expert on my appendix cancer. And made them pay every penny of it, including the deductible and out-of-pocket. Must have scared them really, really bad.

Obviously, I am not dead. I am exceedingly alive. I see no doctors, I take no medication ... I am fine. Thus far, I remain cancer-free. Plus, I have gone on to help people win over twenty of these cases. Since insurers always present the same objections -- in the same order -- every time, it's really fairly simple.

Until now, the appendix cancer people have been the only ones to have their very own Insurance Warrior. Between speaking and helping and shipping books and scratching my head in amazement at All This, I don't have time to participate in a lot of online communities.

So, ADR folks, you are the second ones.

My best to you, I will weigh in from time to time with a radically different approach to making insurance do our bidding.

Laurie the I.W.