View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Hi,
I am a 40yr old UK prison officer who has had a bad back for just under 20 years. For the past 12 months it has been absolutely chronic. I have had an MRI, I paid for this myself as the NHS said they would'nt pay for it unless I could'nt walk/work or was not in control of my bowels !!. Results were the bottom 2 discs are dessicated and degenerated. I have had Chiro, Osteo, Accupuncture, Physio and am a week away from facet joint injections. Before things got chronic a year ago, I used to cycle 17 miles a day and was a single figure golfer. The DDD has had a devastating effect on my life, I am about as active as a snail!!. Looking at my scans I know that ADR is the way forward, can this be done on the UK NHS. I have absolutely NO leg pain, back often spasms and is always very, very, very stiff almost locked. I cannot stand for log periods of time and find it very hard to bend, in fact I find it very hard to do anything normal without having to go and lie down to offer some kind of recovery to my back. When I do move or bend I do it in a strange way to protect my back, trouble is I have done this for some years, does this ring any bells with anyone?, if so did normal range of motion return after ADR. Interested to hear from anyone with symptons similar to me and if the NHS in the UK has funded anyone. I do NOT wish to be fused, I believe ADR is the way forward. My job is now at stake as I am due my annual Control/Restraint asessement. I know I am a long way from surgery, but just getting prepared etc, also anyone been to eastern europe for surgery, or India even ?? !!,

Sorry so many questions............