View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Many who go to the emergency rooms in our area do so because they have no health care coverage at all. Hospitals have to give away a certain amount of charitable care to keep their non-profit status. Patients know this and go to the Emergency room as they know they cannot be turned away. As the economy worsens this situation will get worse. This is a catastrophe in the making. Here's one article I found to verify my story:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0509-07.htm

I also have worked in the health care field for years. I understand about medical malpractice as I have been sued before under my professional liability plan. Even though no one won in the case it was still traumatic for all involved.

I support tort reform with reason. I believe there are some frivolous lawsuits though, there are many with merit as well. That is why I believe in a trial with a jury hearing the facts, supporting arguments, and, award settlement. I would hate to see a system where companies, physicians, other entities could practice with impunity. In the State of Michigan; John Engler, past governor ensured that the pharmaceutical companies cannot be sued in our state. This can only occur in Federal court where the client is assured of losing. So the people hurt in the Viox cases throughout the country could collect due to negligence but, not in Michigan. I hate to see the little guy get squashed and big business gets away with whatever they want with immunity. It's a lousy system when the little guy gets victimized over and over again.

I have also made my case very well known on the forum here. A dog ran in to my bicycle as it was not on a leash. I went end-over-end and shattered my clavicle and destroyed my spine. You can only sue someone for their policy limits and nothing more. The stories you hear about people getting rich are ones where big businesses are liable. The homeowner had $100,000 policy. My settlement was still not enough to cover my expenses. I shelled out $74,000 out of pocket to cover all of my medical costs, bicycle and clothing reimbursement, physical therapy, medications, etc.

Tort reform will benefit insurance companies, who are already wealthy, and corporations who have probably been proven at fault in court or, settled out of court to take care of the case.

The homeowner's insurance company was State Farm and they refused to talk to us in any way, shape or form. They forced us to sue and played hard ball every step of the way.

Most believe in all of the hype about the McDonald's coffee suit. When you get injured it's another story entirely. All I wanted was money, that taken out of my retirement plan, to get me back whole, to be replaced. Without the money being replaced I would never be able to retire.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5