View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 PM

LauraB, Unfortunately I think you are on your own with respect to the flights. I think the most important thing to do is get travel insurance. The cost of it is minimal (perhaps $100.00 per traveler to go to Europe). I always get this regardless of whether I fly domestically or internationally. It paid off a couple of times, once when my wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer (thank goodness she's now ok). We had to cancel a vacation to the Caribbean. Also, years ago, my Dad was ill and we had to cancel a cruise. Besides non-refundable cancellation costs, it provides coverage for lost luggage, costs incurred in travel delays (i.e. hotel if you miss connection on last flight of the night), costs to change flights (need to come home sooner than expected) due to illness, and supplemental car rental insurance. It even covers emergency medical costs. Unfortunately, herniated discs are a pre-existing condition and this insurance won't cover you for that.

In terms of planning your trip, I believe you should allow for the time that the ADR surgeon you choose recommends. If you need to stay longer, the surgeon can sign off on the insurance claim form to cover the change fee. It can't hurt to ask the surgeons you are considering if they have deals with certain airlines. I know that Dr. Ritter-Lang has a deal with Lufthansa, but I would stay away from him based on everything I've read on these boards.

I hope this helps.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C