View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm sorry to bother you again but I am so frustrated that I can hardly see straight. Work comp sent me to a new pain management doctor yesterday that was so unprofessional and inappropriate that it was sickening. After my first surgery at l4-5, I saw a pain management doctor and had two epideral injections, neither of which helped. I requested a specific change of doctors, but was denied the one I wanted and was sent to this quack. He was the biggest "A hole" in the world. Right off the bat, he asked me how he could help me. I said that it would be great if he could relieve some of my pain. He said, "Well I can't. What makes you think I can?" I looked at him like surely he was joking. He wasn't. He repeated himself and I was speechless (which is totally out of character for me). Now I can think of a thousand responses, but at the time I just said, “I…ah…don’t know.” That is how my visit started. There was so much more said but I'll just hit the highlights. I had a pretty long drive to get to him, so my back was in spasms. Therefore I couldn't sit or stand still. I was pacing and rubbing my back. When he came into the room, I didn't want to pace in front of him (especially considering some of the inappropriate comments that he made just a few minutes into our conversation) so I was simply shifting my weight side to side. I so was not jumping around. He said to me that someone with a herniated disc does not jump all over the room. I was dumb founded and did not know how to respond. He said that he has treated people with eye and brain cancer who are in more pain than me and they do not jump around the room. And that anyone who is in that much pain could not handle it for so long. They would collapse after a few days of it. I told him that I disagree with him. After he used the terms "jumping around the room" a few more times, I finally told him that I had a long drive which makes it even harder to sit or stand , and my back constantly feels like it has major Charlie horses in it. I told him that my surgeon said that I needed a fusion but may be a good candidate for the ADR and he went off on me. He said, “Don’t let anyone put something artificial into your back. I can’t believe you would even think of having that done. Did you know that four people, actually four women, died from the surgery. Read the Wall Street Journal and you’ll see. The only way you should let someone put anything into you is if you’re dying. Then it is like ‘What the hell’ you’re dying anyway.” At the end of the appointment, he said he could try facet injections but he did not think it would help. With his attitude and because of the things he said to me such as, "Well if I were tall, thin, and blonde I probably wouldn't have bothered going to medical school," which was only one of the several inappropriate things he said, make me extremely uncomfortable having him perform any procedures on me. But now I feel as if I am screwed because he was my "one time change of physicians". I don't know if I should contact my nurse case manager to let her know all of this or what. Just had to vent. Please help if you can.
Sorry so long.
P.S. I don't own a computer. I have been using my daughter's who was staying with me for a couple of weeks. She is moving into her new place today, so I'll have to go to her house to communicate.
Cathy
*Curr