View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM

Default surgery

one more thing...

IF your surgery is delayed for a number of hours...tell your family, significant other, or friend to go home and get some rest. You may need them more when you wake up from surgery than going into surgery.

My surgery was not the first for the day for my surgeon. He got delayed in surgery for 5+ hours more than expected, so I was in the pre-surgery waiting room all day long - no liquids or foods - waiting with my Dad. He was so exhausted by the time I actually got out of surgery that he wanted to leave. He had been at the hospital waiting around for about 12 hours from the time I checked in, until I finally woke up after surgery. He didn't realize how badly I wanted him to stay, even just for an hour. I was crying after he left because I couldn't reach anything I wanted to try and make me more comfortable.

Also..if you can time your period to be as far off as possible post surgery...the better. my range of motion was not so good to deal with this issue...got a little frustrating. I was a two level so maybe that was part of it.

not trying to scare you or make you upset...just figure others can learn from our experiences.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop