View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 PM

Dear ckessel,
Welcome to the website. You were in tears typing, and I am close to tears reading. I am so sorry about your situation. There are so many people on this website with good information and advice. They will no doubt be chiming in soon. First, I think you should do all you can to find the best spine surgeon in your area. Some people see a neuro and some see a ortho. Could you ask around or use the internet to find someone for an appointment. It is always good to see a surgeon who does have experience with ADR if you are hoping you might be a candidate. A lot of surgeons will not recommend it if they themselves do not do the procedure. I know most of the time six months of conservative treatment is required before they will even attempt surgery. I know you have been dealing with this for years. You probably have already done some of these therapies.

How old is you most recent MRI? It could be that something has changed which would explain your dwindling quality of life. I also know sometimes things could look horrible on x-ray or MRI and you are asymptomatic....or, you can have LOTS of pain and your diagnostic work does not look that bad. Go figure.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I am also a lumbar person so I know where you are coming from. I wish you luck. Do not stop searching until you find a surgeon you feel good about. I ended up getting four opinions before I had my surgery. It sounds completely exhausting, I know. But it is your spine and you are so young. Hang in there and don't let the difficulty of whole crappy situation get you down. You have made the first step already.
CD
LBP for 2 to 3 years-much worse since April '09
44 visits to chiro in 6 months
PT & ESI (failed)
Discography/CT -positive at L4-L5, annular tear & bulge
three denials from UnitedHealthcare for ADR
Surgery 2/18/10-Freedom Lumbar disc L4/L5